Refreshing Snack: Guava with Preserved Orange Peel

By Thursday, September 22, 2011

I had a lot of guavas sitting on my table-top. As the skin slowly turns colour, becoming a deeper shade of green, it's beckoning me to eat it up :)


Guava is a nutritional fruit containing Vitamin C and dietary fibre. The common way of eating it in Singapore is to slice it up, and add some plum powder (酸梅粉)to it.  I'm not a fan of plum powder, as I find it too sweet and sour-ress for me. If my colleagues and I were to go out for lunch, and pass by a fruit stall, I will avoid buying guavas. That was until I learnt about a different way of preparing guava, which is to add preserved orange peels  (陳皮)to it.


Though preserved orange peels also contain sugar and salt, similar to the ingredients in plum powder - I like the smell and flavour that the orange peels provide.

I only have to add a bit of preserved orange peels to the guavas, chill everything in the fridge for a few hours, and wah-lah... all the flavors will be well blended together.

Here's how I prepare it:

Ingredients
4 guavas
Approx 6 slices of preserved orange peels  *(qty to be adjusted based on personal preference, and the brand you are using; I used a different brand previously, and for that I had to add more preserved orange peels for the flavors to come out)

Method
Start by cutting from the sides

Cut to remove the core

Dice everything up

Shred the orange peels and add it it


Mix well, and chill in the fridge for a few hours before serving

You Might Also Like

0 comments