Potato Cheese Muffins

By Friday, September 02, 2011

Have you ever wonder what savoury muffins taste like? Hmm... I was curious, and with friends coming over for tea, it was the chance for me to try something different!

As you can see, I'm not one to try something safe - to repeat the tried and tested recipe. Dear says I need to hone my skills, and to develop consistency in my baking, which means to bake the same thing till I master it. Haiz.. but that would bore me, and he would have to eat the same thing over again. He'll probably be sick of it by then, even if it tasted nice. So I chose to follow my heart :)

Besides the savoury muffin, I also prepared something sweet - cheesecake. Argh... that didn't work out well. I forgot to protect the tin with aluminium foil (when putting in the water bath), and the cake turned out all soggy. Nevertheless, my friends are very encouraging, and they tried (and almost finished) both dishes I prepared for them :)

 
supposed to be featherlight, but turned out dense




the colour is nice, right?
this tasted better!
with a cute little dome

I'll need to work on the cheesecake again, so here's sharing with you the recipe for the muffins first.

Recipe: (taken from 孟老師的100道小蛋糕)- makes about 12 muffins

Ingredients
120g potatoes (with skin removed)
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
20g caster sugar
1 egg
50g sunflower oil
40g milk
75g cake flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp baking soda
1 slice of cheese (i used Kraft cheese)

Method
  • Peel and dice the potatoes. Steam/boil it until cooked and soft. Mash up the potatotes, and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
  • In a medium bowl, combine the egg, oil and caster sugar together, using a whisk.
  • Add in milk, followed by the mashed potatoes. Mix till everything is well combined.
  • Sieve the cake flour, baking powder and baking soda together. Add it to the mashed potatoes mixture, and switch to a spatula to gently mix everything in.
  • Cut the cheese into small slices, and add to the batter. Mix well.
  • Scoop batter into muffin cups. Bake at 180 degree celsius for 20-25 mins.

This muffin tastes really soft, and I like how the taste of the potatoes blend with the cheese and flour.  It will make a wonderful picnic snack, or a light munchie for lunch. You have to give it a try to understand what I mean.

By the way, the brown parts, as seen on the muffin is the cheese. I'm not sure why 孟老師's cake doesn't have the brown parts, when I compare mine to the picture in the book. If you have the answer, please help to enlighten me :) Nonetheless, the brown part also tasted good!

You Might Also Like

0 comments