Apple Crumble Muffin

By Wednesday, September 07, 2011

Time flies, and unknowingly, I've entered my 4th baking session with the youths.

I'm getting more comfortable - knowing what to expect, re-thinking through my objectives. I've also started using videos, and will re-write the baking instructions so that the youths can easily understand and follow the steps.

Those youths whom I had difficulty engaging never came back. Come to think of it... that's not a bad thing, because I can then give my fullest attention to the students who are interested to learn. Perhaps like what KF says, it's a great luxury to have such a small number of youths to work with.

It was really heart-warming to know that the youths noticed my effort. One of them commented that nobody presents recipe in that manner, and I must have done something to it. Exactly! 

As a F&N student, he told me he has never learnt to crack open an egg. I was rolling my eyes in disbelief. How is that possible? He told me he has always asked for the teachers' help, and being a charming student, I believe they would have given in to his request. I told him I'm not going to do that for him, and took the chance to challenge him to overcome the mental barrier that he can't do it. He has promised me to give it a try in the next session. I have faith that he can do it!

After each session, it was helpful to affirm the students, and to share observations of their efforts and contributions. I was also sharing with them on my own learnings, and this led the girl to open up and share one thing she was proud of, which she managed to accomplish in the session.

This is a shift for me, because she would usually have nothing to say.

We did apple crumble muffins, and KF offered us tea to go along with the muffins.

Maybe I should bring along my own teabags too? It would be nice to de-brief over tea.





Here's the recipe:
(adapted from The Great Bake Sale Cookbook - 75 sure-fire fund-raising favorites)


Ingredients - yields about 12 muffins
(A) 63g brown sugar
      45g butter, cut into small pieces (must be cold)
      47g plain flour
      1/4 tsp ground cinnamon (optional)

(B) 280g plain flour
     1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
     1/2 tsp salt
     95g caster sugar
     1/2 tsp baking soda
     2 tsp baking powder

(C) 1 egg
      240ml buttermilk*
      100g butter, melted
   
      280g plain flour
      1 apple, peeled and finely diced

*
To make buttermilk: add 1 tbsp of vinegar to 1 cup of milk (240ml) , and let stand for 5 mins.

Method
  • Pre-heat oven to 200 deg C.
  • Prepare the crumble topping: Using your fingertips, mix all the ingredients from (A) together. Mix until it resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside in fridge till ready to use.
  • In a medium bowl, stir together the ingredients in (B).
  • In another bowl, using a fork, mix the buttermilk, egg and melted butter till well-blended. Stir in the apples. 
  • Add egg mixture into flour mixture, and mix everything together. *Impt: do not overmix. Once the flour are all mixed i.e. when you don’t see any white lumps, it’s done.
  • Spoon batter into muffin cups, and fill till 80% full. Add crumble topping.
  • Bake in oven for 25 mins, or when toothpick inserted into the centre of muffin comes out clean.

Notes
  • The muffin tasted very light and fluffy - a refreshing change from the muffins sold outside which is usually denser. 
  • The muffin itself was a bit bland, but the crumble topping complimented it well, and give it sweetness. 
  • I would still prefer something sweeter. Next time, I would increase the sugar by 10g, add in some raisins and walnuts to give the flavour more depth. Would also replace the red apple with green apple.

You Might Also Like

0 comments