Sweet Success: Hokkaido Milk Loaf

By Saturday, April 28, 2012

It's been a long while since I dare put up photos showing a LOAF.



That's because I've great difficulties removing the bread from the tin. Once out of the oven, it will stick to the sides and bottom so tightly - refusing to budge despite attempts to shake it out of the tin.

Out of exasperation (& desperation), I'll use a spatula to loosen the edges. And before turning the tin over, take a deep breath, secretly praying  that everything will be fine. But often time, what greeted me will be a loaf where bits of the sides are still stuck to the tin. Yucks! Real ugly! My heart sank, greatly disappointed.

I needed to problem-solve. Hmm... perhaps greasing it might work? It didn't.

Another idea came to me. How about greasing it with butter? It helped - only for 1 time.

Hmm... What about greasing with butter followed by flour? I found my answer. And the bread slide out of the tin beautifully this tin. Ahh... Happiness!

And now back to my bread, it's a Hokkaido Milk Loaf - famously know to yield a soft and flavorful bread due to the addition of milk powder, milk and whipping cream.



On first bite, it tasted like the ordinary white bread, but as I chewed on, I begin to feel the milky flavors coming out - subtle and this requires a 'veteran' tongue to taste it.  My husband couldn't tell the difference between this and white bread... But I could. It's richer in taste. You have to try it to know what I mean.

cut into thick slices! yums!


Recipe (source: Angie's Recipes)

Ingredients
270g bread flour
30g cake flour
5g instant yeast
15g milk powder
40g sugar
4.5g salt
half an egg (beaten)
125g fresh milk
75g whipping cream

Method
  • Knead all the ingredients together until the window pane stage, using a mixer.
  • Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl. Cover with clingwrap, and let stand till double in size (approx 60 mins).
  • Punch down the dough to let out the gas. Divide into 3 portions, shape into rounds and let it rest for 20 mins.
  • Flatten and roll each portions like a swiss roll. Place in bread tin and let rise till it reaches 80% full.
  • Bake at 180C for 45 mins. 

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. I never have problem with removing bread from the pan, only by greasing with butter. But I remove it immediately after baking, or maybe just 1-2 minutes later.
    Any longer and the moisture from the hot bread will cause the sides to be moist and hence, got stuck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendy, don't know why mine turns out this way.. Yup I followed all the tips you've shared previously, and still it didn't quite work out. Hmm maybe it's time to get a new one soon?

      Delete
  2. hi lala, i usually grease and flour my baking loaf for making breads too, no difficulty to remove it. If it's a free form loaf in a tray, i will use baking paper, not greaseproof paper.
    I heard so much about this hokkaido loaf and good reviews, i think i got to try it.

    ReplyDelete