X'mas Bakes - Green Tea Cookies

By Monday, December 26, 2011

It's 2am in the morning... Thoughts are running, and there's this urge to write!

It's a good sign, and this probably came from the encouragements I've been receiving from Lena and Bakertan. I realized my priority has shifted since I went back to work. Less time to bake, and the urge to write has greatly decreased too...

Not today though. Thanks to my blogger friends! They made me realize this is a part of me I want to keep. It is also a space I can interact with others, and to grow in my baking skills.

I was glad when my sister suggested baking cookies together. This is the result of our combined efforts - Green Tea Cookies.


The cute gingerbread man is a gift by my sister. She made it herself.

Before - dark green in color


After - brownish green in color

As for the cookies, my first thought was that it's not sweet enough.  But as I eat it again the second day, I grew to like it (a lot). The flavour of the green tea comes out well, and is good on its own / with tea.

Recipe:  (adapted from Honey Bee Sweet)


Ingredients
240g plain flour
10g green tea powder
150g unsalted butter, cold and cut into small pieces
1/4 tsp salt
100g icing sugar (can increase if you like it sweeter)
1 large egg yolk

Method
  • Sift flour, green tea powder and icing sugar into a big bowl. Add in salt. 
  • Add in the cold butter. Using your fingertips, knead it in till it resembles bread crumbs. 
  • Add in the egg yolk, and knead till well-combined. 
  • Divide the dough into half. Wrap each portion with clingwrap, and chill in the fridge for 30 mins before rolling out.
  • Lightly flour the work surface. Take out 1 portion of the dough, and roll out till 1/4 inch thick. Cut into shapes using star cutter. The remaining dough are put back into the fridge, and the same steps are repeated with the second dough portion. * To get dough to chill faster, I put it into the freezer (10 - 15mins is all it takes for the dough to firm up)

  • Arrange cookies on baking paper, and chill in fridge for 20 mins. Preheat oven to 175C.
  • Bake the cookies for 13-15 mins till the edge are lightly browned.

Am submitting this for Aspiring Bakers #14: Creative Christmas Bakes (December 2011) by Hankerie.

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. Hope you had fun celebrating Christmas! Have a blessed 2012! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the look of these stars.
    Blogging has given me a lot of new friends and space for skills improvement.
    I wouldn't have grown so far, culinary wise, if it's not for blogging
    Don't give up, blog when you have the time. It should be a hobby you love, not a chore

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Xmas and happy new year!

    I can understand how you feel. Sometimes, the priority changes, especially with work and other commitments. Just try to bake and blog whenever possible. When the momentum is there, keep it going.

    There are times when I go MIA from blogging for a while. However, the baking doesn't stop. I will still browse through my library of bakebooks even when I'm not baking and it adds on to my to-bake-list. When the baking urge or gut feeling comes to mind, I have a good idea of what I would like to do.

    Cherish your baking moments and just have fun whenever you can =]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to all for your encouragement! That really gives me the momentum to carry on... will jia you! and blog when I can =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. dear lala, hope you are doing fine with your job and everything. Just blog whenever you feel like to , there isnt any responbility involved here, it's a hobby and then you will find it fun. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete