Savoury Muffins - Parmesan Cheese and Bacon

By Sunday, November 10, 2013

While I love sweet food, my husband loves savoury stuff. I remembered we used to go for movie dates and he would ask if I want to share some savoury popcorns with him. I would look at him sweetly and ask "Please dear, can we have sweet popcorns?" And he would willingly go and get the sweet ones! Haha.. That's how sweet my husband can be.

Once in a while, I would cook up something savoury for him. Thus today's parmesan cheese and bacon muffins.

Fresh from the oven!


You would need to cook the bacon and onions first. A tad bit troublesome, but worth the effort as the whole kitchen was filled with a lovely smell when the muffins were cooking.

I recently acquired a kitty cloth, and couldn't resist putting it into the photos for they are simply kawaii!

Serving my muffins with a cute table cloth

While I associate sweet muffins with dessert and teabreaks, the savoury ones can be substitued for a light lunch or brought along for picnics. This is definitely a great base for savoury muffins, and I can imagine myself making different variations by adding mushrooms, or canned corns etc.



Recipe (serves 12 to 15 muffins)
Adapted from Bestrecipes

Ingredients:
350g self-raising flour
salt and pepper
125g melted butter, cooled
250ml milk (1 cup)
2 eggs
2 tsp chopped chives
100g parmesan cheese
100g diced bacon
1 small diced onion
1/2 small red capscium, diced

Method:
  • Preheat oven to 200C.
  • Fry onion, bacon and capscium till soft.
  • Sift flour into a bowl. Add parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. *I only added a pinch of salt as both the bacon and parmesan is salty. But if you are a savoury person, you could increase the salt to 1/4 tsp.
  • Whisk eggs, milk and chives together. 
  • Make a well in the flour. Pour in the milk, and melted butter, and fold till well combined.
  • Fold in the bacon and onion mixture.
  • Spoon into a muffin tray. Top with extra parmesan and bake for 20-25 mins till the top turns golden in colour.

You Might Also Like

0 comments