Mocha Baileys Chiffon

By Monday, July 30, 2012

I love the idea of having alcohol in cakes... probably because it gives a "oomph" factor. Maybe makes the cake a bit more high-class too? And I'm curious how it would taste like..

Just when I thought I have everything on hand, I realized there isn't enough Baileys (due to last minute decision to bake 2 cakes). Not even milk when I checked my fridge... Argh! In the end,  I substituted with plain water.

The mixture was a bit thick, before adding in the beaten egg whites. Got a bit worried though..

Atlas, all turned out well... and cake rose high and tall.



This recipe is from Peng, and the flavor is really unique. Here's how my mother described it to my sister: "I think it's coffee. Maybe not.. err I think it's chocolate." I told her she's right. It has both!



The alcohol taste is not very strong (as I had substituted half the intended amount with water). Anyway, I think it's cool to experiment with flavors... Part of the excitement also comes from the anticipation of waiting to taste how the different flavors can come together.



Recipe:

Egg Yolk Mixture
4 egg yolks
30g caster sugar
50ml Baileys
2 tbsp coffee granules
50ml sunflower oil
2 tbsp cocoa powder
100g cake flour

Egg White Mixture
4 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
70g caster sugar

Methods:
  • Warm up the Baileys and stir in coffee granules. Remove from stove and set aside to cool, once the granules are dissolved.
  • In another bowl, whisk together the yolks and 30g sugar. Add in the coffee mixture and oil. Add in sifted flour and cocoa powder. Stir till everything is combined.
  • Beat egg whites with cream of tartar till foamy. Gradually add in 70g of sugar, and beat till stiff peaks form.
  • Gently fold in the egg whites mixture into the egg yolks mixture. Pour into a 7" chiffon tin. Bake at 180C for 30-35 mins.  *May have excess for small cupcakes, as the batter is too much for 7' tin

Notes for Self:
To increase amount of liquid used (by 15ml?); To try using 3 eggs for 7" pan

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. luckily still got water LOL!!baileys and choc or coffee goes really good well, ADDICTIVE! your chiffon is really looking tall!

    ReplyDelete